Friday, February 12, 2010

Snowy Days.....

There is something magical about being awake before the rest of the city. Watching the big fat puffs of snow dance their way to the ground. The snow is undisturbed except for the lone pair of footsteps meandering down the alley. It looks like a blanket that was lovingly wrapped up the entire city in it's soft embrace.

It's mornings like these I don't mind where I am. No work today, means no dealing with the people that have become the bane of my existence. Or.... person, rather. I get to spend the morning snuggled up in bed with my kitten and my boy. I'll watch a movie, perhaps read the rest of the book I've been putting off finishing. The grocery shopping has already been done and I don't have to clean yet because it's a 3-day-weekend. Today is about relaxation and enjoying Korea. We will go to the Mall and eat American Food (On The Border) and hopefully see a movie. We'll stop in some shops that we enjoy and take our time while doing so. I'll pray for the snow to stop at some point so we can go to the Folk Village to learn about the Korean traditions surrounding Lunar New Year. The city feels empty, most people go home for Lunar New Year or head to the East (to the beach) to watch the sunrise for the first time of the New Year. It's a tradition over here.


Continuing on with the person that has become a thorn in my side. Apparently I may have been lucky in the fact I've always had very even-keeled bosses. They were always (for the most part) supportive and understanding. They dish out a lot of positive feedback, and any criticism is always very constructive. Performance reviews are always laced with compliments, and the delicate relationship between employer and employee remains balanced. My new boss is emotional, whimsical, and unbalanced. What I am praised for one day is punishable the next. There is no consistency, things are thrown together at the last moment and everyone is supposed to change their plans 3-4 times a week to fit her new ideas. Taxing and aggravating are two words that come to mind when I think of work. It's a shame.... I love the students, but the adults make it miserable. According to my friend who worked there before me, the new boss didn't used to be like this. She got a promotion a month or so before I got here, and it's apparently gone to her head. She is changing at a very incredible rate. She was a lot different when I got here, and that was only a few months ago.

So, I don't know which is the more accurate portrayal of a boss figure. Am I fortunate in the fact I've always liked mine for the most part (long-term bosses anyway.... I had a few crazies in the nanny business that were verrrry short lived) or should a person typically hate their boss? Is it a right of passage for someone to turn from cool employee to asshole boss once they get a promotion? I guess I will keep my fingers crossed that my next boss is better.

Well, that's enough random thoughts from my head for one day. Enjoy your weekends!

xoxo

No comments: