Monday, November 16, 2009

The difference between hungry and satisfied...


In the last 4 weeks in Korea Ive learned the difference between being hungry, and satisfying my taste buds. I haven't been really hungry since I got to Korea (except the two times I went 2-3 days without eating.... because I couldn't find anything I would eat).. but I also haven't had my tastes satisfied... until today. I didn't realize a large part of being homesick isn't only for the people, or the comforts of your home... it's also the want for familiar tastes and smells. I miss the smell of American cooking just as much, if not more than the actual food.

This morning I discovered my toaster works. I didn't think much of it at first... but then I remembered I had eggs! So, I made some toast, fried an egg... and made a sandwich. Back home I don't even really like egg sandwiches... but this morning it was the most delicious thing I had tasted in over a month. The smell of an egg cooking and bread toasting made me feel so warm and... at home. My mom used to make toast sometimes for a late snack, so the smell of toast has always brought me to a happy place. This morning my tastes were satisfied. It was a good day.

I picked up some pasta at the store this weekend, and some pasta sauce. I can't eat anymore rice or ramen for a while... I'm burnt out!! I splurged on butter as well (suppper expensive) because I'm going to make mashed potatoes for our pseudo Thanksgiving next week. So far I have Stove Top, corn, mashed potatoes, and chicken breast on the menu. I can't wait :-) I'm also excited to do Thanksgiving activities with the kiddos at work. Next Friday is the last day of the term, so it'll be a busy week. We have the monthly testing and the monthly spelling test... so the rest of the week will be activities and fun stuff, as long as we finish our texts books this week.

Well, not much to talk about since my last post. I'm happy we have a lighter work load this week, it'll give me time to look over our new text books and make lesson plans. Other than work, I'll just be counting down the days until my boy gets here. And counting down the days until I go with some friends to COEX mall to go shopping! :-)

P.S. If anyone is planning on sending me gifts for the holidays, I'll make it cheap and easy on you... I just want McCormick flavorings!! (Taco seasoning, ranch dip, garlic potatoes..etc..). I found a lot of ingredients I can work with over here, I just need the spices/flavoring! I found a few pouches at the black market, but I'm not paying 8 times the retail value! For 2-3 bucks you could make me a happy girl. :-) End shameless wish-list advertisement now!

No comments: