Saturday, November 21, 2009

A night out in Seoul...

So, I've talked a lot about the food, the people, and the weird stuff I see..... now on to something a little more exciting... nights out!

Before coming to Korea I spoke to a few friends that had lived here, or were already living here. They all said the exact same thing, "Those Koreans really know how to party!" It's SO true haha.

Our night started at 7pm, Alicia and I met Yoo and her guy friend on a busy street near the party district. I mentioned (while waiting for the 4th member of our party) that I feel like my blonde hair is a beacon for attention, to which someone replies, "Yeah, it's like bright flashing lights." Thanks, haha. At least Alicia blends in with her dark hair. haha.

So after we had the troops assembled we headed into the party district(Kondae) to find some dinner. After much deliberation they asked about some food I had never seen/heard of before. Feeling brave I said I was in, hoping I wouldn't regret it haha. On the table was the grill, kind of like the Korean BBQ, but instead of meat to grill, they brought out a huge pan filled with chicken, cabbage, red pepper sauce, sweet potatoes, other random veggies, and these giant rice noodles that kind of look like ziti noodles.
So every 5 mins or so someone from the wait staff comes over and stirs all the food.... it slowly turns into this red stew looking stuff, then the water evaporates and it look like... food? haha. So Cho serves us some in a small dish, and I take a bite... with everyone watching for my reaction. It was realllly good! Yum. So we sat and talked, ate, and drank soju for quite a while. Good times.





After dinner we decided to go a bar we had all gone to together before... knowing it's always busy and fun. Most bars (only 1 hasn't so far) make you order food when you go drinking, which may contribute to their long nights! We ordered a pitcher of beer, and a fruit plate. turns out Koreans put honey mustard on everything, including fruit. I tried to wipe it off, haha. Icky. At this point our friend that owns the Indian restaurant shows up, so we begin to play drinking games. I learned some fun Korean games, but once we were bored with those I decided to teach them some American drinking games. Somewhere around this time a magician shows up and does some magic tricks... haha. It's NEVER boring going out here. After another few pitchers of beer we decide to go find a hookah bar. Lucky for us the Indian guy (we think he is from Nepal) knows of one just around the corner!






After braving the COLD, we arrive at the hookah bar and head down a flight of stairs. When you reach the bottom, you take off your shoes and head down another flight of stairs. This place was amazing. Dimly lit, floor seating, candles, curtains everywhere so you have privacy for your group, and it's just lavish and beautiful decorating. I was happy instantly! After we are all situated we order some more beer, and watermelon/cherry hookah. It was sooo good! We discovered that the bar has a cat (VERY rare for Korea, they hate cats) so of course I fell in love with it. Eventually I got the cat out of hiding and into my lap. It took a little nap on the pillows beside me, then ran off when I tried to feed it chicken haha. Oh yeah, after an hour of so Yoo decided she was hungry (no idea how these tiny Korean chicks put away so much food) and ordered chicken nachos. I'm not sure what they served us, but it sure as hell wasn't chicken nachos haha. I think it was a nacho pizza or something? It had like ketchup on it or something.



So, after the shisha ran out, the beers were consumed, and the food was gone, we decided to call it a night (although Alicia was trying to talk us all into another bar).

So, that's a fairly typical night out in Seoul. :-)

No comments: