Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Korean Holidays....


I'm currently exploring Korean Holidays. Tomorrow is a holiday here.... Pepero Day!

For most of the world, November 11 is known as Veteran's Day, celebrating the date in 1911 when the first World War ended. In Korea they have their own sweet day, Pepero Day! I was told it's on 11/11 because that date looks like a bunch of Pepero. Pepero are long pencil sized cookies that are dipped in chocolate. You are supposed to give these cookies to people you care about (family, lovers, teachers, friends). It's often thought of as a "lovers holiday" like Valentine's Day. I'll have to explain Valentine's Day later, it's really interesting!

So, eat cookies and think of me here in Korea :-)

Edit: I got a TON of pepero from all my students today. Everyone at work is consuming it like it's crack.

No comments: